Solvang Construction can now finally start moving heavy equipment. The tractor for the previously built trailer
is now ready for service. When bringing together the two units I added a little more weathering to the trailer to make the two models more like an entity. Ramps, blocks and some tools were added to the trailer as well.
|Solvang Construction visiting Nystrup for a heavy haulage task.|
|Equipment added to the trailer includes steel chain, wooden blocks, sledge hammer, a tarpaulin and a selection of spanners.The track panels are made from Blitz Models French army steel sleepers and code 100 rail.|
Before I got so far, I added most of the small details to the model. The kit came without exhaust pipe. With part of the chassis highly visible even when coupled to the trailer, I made a exhaust pipe from brass pipe and slid on a length of larger diameter plastic pipe as silencer. On the inside of both chassis channels I glued thin copper wire to illustrate part of the braking system. Here and there I glued on a few bolt heads. The kit part for the instrument panel in the cab looked rather bad, so I did a new one from plastic card with holes punched for dials. The dials themselves are Archer transfers.
|My resin Commer with added parts from scratch. Ready for painting.|
While the kit contained 15 parts for the chassis and 3 for the cab I
added a total of 36 home made parts (not counting the 6 clear parts for
windows). Some of the parts were added after painting due to the way the kit is designed. These included the steps under the cab which I made from folded up left over etched brass (never throw away anything, it may turn out to be useful in the future).
The lorry first received a cover of Games Workshop primer (with the 'war hammerish' name of 'Chaos Black').
|I forgot to add the roof mounted sign signalling a trailer on tow. I sanded the primer away to get good glue adhesion. The cab roof was primed again before painting.|
As usual I applied the main covering of acrylic paint with my air brush. I used Tamiya masking tape to mask upper and lower cab. I managed to get an almost perfect demarcation between the two colours on
the cab. Too often I have failed to apply the masking tape properly,
used too thin a paint mix or have the paint bleed through the tape.
|Very little touch up needed on the cab. Tires will need covering with dark grey.|
Decals were fitted on doors and front roof line as well as on the plastic card license plates. As usual the decals were made by 'Skilteskoven'
. Front mudguards were painted gloss black. Small details were picked out in their appropriate colours, rear view mirrors and wind shield wiper fitted. I weathered the lorry to make it look like it had travelled long and dusty roads with its heavy load. I used a mix of oil paint washings and very thin mixes of earth colours through the air brush.
|It turned out that a locomotive was the load to be picked up in Nystrup. Destination unknown.|
|The transport has reached the viaduct over Nystrup Gravel's railway.|
With this road vehicle project finished I'm moving on to work on other models that have lingered unfinished on my shelves.