|Original main drawing from Pedershaab with measurements in mm. Drawing no 59287 from Pedershaab.|
The brass channel in the Swift Sixteen power bogie was cut with a Dremel fitted with a cutting disc. The cuts were cleaned up with files. I had wrapped the motor in masking tape in advance to avoid small metal bits entering the motor interior. The supplied bracket for joining the two parts fitted well and helps to create a solid unit. I soldered the frames together and despite a soldering iron a tad too small, I managed to get the solder flowing alright. The supplied delrin chain for powering both axles was shortened as per the instructions. Despite the large scale, the joining of the chain proved quite a fiddly task for me. Finally I managed to join the chain and much rejoicing followed. Guess what? The chain was one link too long...Well, at least I now had experience!
|The main parts from the Swift Sixteen adjustable length power bogie. The wheelbase is decided by how much of the brass channel is removed.|
|I cut out a considerable length in total to obtain a wheelbase of 46 mm.|
|From scrap brass I bent up two brackets for fixing the loco body to the power bogie. The brackets were soldered on.|
For the basic construction I have decided to rely on a design of well braced plasticcard. More plasticcard, brass, nickle silver and 3D-printed parts are planned to be used for details.
I cut a cardboard template for the frame top to help decide where to place holes for motor, wires and bolts for joining power bogie and loco frame. After a little shuffling back and forth with cardboard I could cut the first 5 pieces of 1.5 mm plasticcard.
|Basic frame assembly glued and ready for height adjusting and test fitting on power bogie. Later corners and edges will be rounded off with files and sandpaper.|
With nothing looking much like a Pedershaab locomotive yet I have added a short film clip from the Pedershaab factory in Brønderslev. At around 0:23 finishing work is being carried out on a NG locomotive with wooden cab.