Started almost three years ago
my interpretation of one of the earliest Danish built locos with internal combustion engine is now finished. The loco from around 1908 was Nystrup Gravel's first loco. Surviving as long as into the 1950's with its original engine must be considered well done, although the loco wasn't used regularly from the mid twenties and forward. My model of the loco will get some exercise now and then, as it acts as a spare loco in case of break downs etc.
|An old relic moving slowly and noisily through the woods around Nystrup. Built around 1908 it's a wonder it is still in running order.|
|I tested different ways to portray the greyish galvanised finish of the prototype. Here is a snap shot of some mixes on a scrap of foam board. The paint mix is pencilled below each test square.|
I wondered how best to create an impression of the galvanised upper body. After some testing I settled for a 40/60 % mix of Vallejo 70.992 'Neutral Grey' and 71.064 'Chrome'. I air brushed the mix all over the upper body, roof and all. To make the colour appear a bit more varied I sprayed selected parts of the loco with a darkened mix of the base colour. With heavily thinned white and blue oil paint I added further variety to the colour. Then I brushed on random spots of 'Chrome' and 'Medium Grey' all over the upper body. I used a small brush as my experiments painting the spots with a teased out sponge didn't work out well. Going over the body with a few thin layers of a home mixed light grey oil paint blended in the spots. I think the result is passable for a galvanised surface when seen from a distance.
|Chrome and Medium Grey spots appplied all over the body. Photo taken before the layers of thin grey oil paint were put on.|
|Front number added with brass stencil, masking tape and red paint. |
|All major work finished on my model of a Frederikshavn Iron Foundry type Alpha E 10 loco. First snapshot on a hastily cleaned up worktable. I use snapshots like this for final 'quality control'. There is often something to be fixed on my models and digital images are perfect making the faults stand out. I fix some of them and live with others. |
Obviously the model had to have the number 1 painted on its sides. I used a brass stencil from an old Stencilit set and red paint. When all four red numbers had dried I gave the body a quick spray with Vallejo matt varnish from a spray can. I then added a thin wash with black oil paint. A little rust here and there was suggested with burned sienna oil paint. Finally a thin layer of Humbrol acrylic 'Matt Kahki' was misted over the upper body from above with the air brush to represent dust. Grease cup and fuel lines were picked out in Humbrol 12 - 'Copper'.
The frame was painted in Vallejo Air 71.123 'USAF Dark Grey' with buffers in contrasting
'French Blue' Vallejo 900. Weathering the frame was
done with a black wash, black oil paint around the axle boxes, scratches and worn
paint with paints and pencil, a little rust with oil paint and dusting with
thin Humbrol acrylic 'Light Kahki' and an application of a little pastel chalk. On two of the axle
boxes I represented wet oil spillings with a little more black oil paint and
|There is oil in the can for propulsion and the bucket is used to refill the radiator with water. Using evaporative cooling the loco probably needed almost as much water as it needed oil. |
I fixed home made coupling chains to the buffers front and rear. The chains were blackened with 'Ballistol' and painted rust. I added an etched brass bucket to the right hand side of the loco. The bucket was painted white with two blue stripes and gloss varnished.
|The loco managed trains of five loaded skips on the relative flat Nystrup Gravel line.|
Unfortunately there seems to be tiny cracks developing on the right side and rear wall. Perhaps caused by the sandwiching of several layers of plastic card. I'll keep the areas under observation.