Friday 29 October 2021

Nystrup Gravel Mentioned in Monumental Work on Danish Petrol Stations

No subject seems to be too small or mundane to escape unnoticed by writers and authors. Now Danish petrol stations have been treated in a book that must be considered as the difinitive and a monumental work on the subject. A whopping 472 pages of information, almost 800 pictures and stories about the people manning and customers using the small oases supplying fluid fossil fuel. And the book is in Danish - a language spoken by only 5.8 mio people.  The author is Nils Bloch, a Danish writer with several railway books on his CV, a range of university degrees as well as years of active service for railway preservation.

There is a small chapter devoted to petrol stations in model, and the petrol pump at Nystrup Gravel is given a favourable caption although it is a very modest creation.

Front cover of the book. The subtitle translates into 'High octane nostalgia' which is indeed a fitting description.

With a fascination of old petrol pumps I installed the red petrol pump on my first  1:35 scale Nystrup Gravel module in 2003. I wanted to create some of the atmosphere from the fueling areas at small industrial railways. The pump was a Plus Models resin kit that doesn't appear to be available any more.

The loco shed module on the 1:35 scale version of Nystrup Gravel during construction in January 2003. The fuel pump is seen in naked unassembled resin being test fitted in front of the shed. Sleepers are ready for track building.

Another image of the Plus Models pump on my old 1:35 scale layout. Here a Ford A tanker is slowly backing up to the pump's filler pipe to replenish the supply of petrol.

I can't build a layout without a petrol pump. Until a better model is aquired or built this rebuilt Pennzoil pump from a cheap Chinese manufacturer is destined for use on the 1/19 scale version of Nystrup Gravel. See info on the pump on this earlier post.

Monday 25 October 2021

Long time since last posting

Time flies. It's been ages since my last posting, and it actually reflects the progress made on my small layout pretty well. Not much has happened due to work, illness and a heap of other activities. Now I'm slowly gearing myself up to modelling again and what more entertaining activity than rail painting should be able to inspire me?

The 2.3 m long module 1 is down on a pair of trestles to have the other side of the rails painted.

It's probably no secret that I ventured into railway modelling on the basis of an almost lifelong interest in real narrow gauge industrial railways and that I'm volunteering on a 700 mm gauge vintage railway. With two operational steam locos each turning 100 years old, we couldn't avoid celebrating with an event involving the railway's friends, partners, the local community and the volunteers making it all possible. During an august weekend we hosted a formal reception with invited VIPs as well as special trains for enthusiasts and a full day of all steam trains for our passengers. More images from the event on my Flickr-site.

From left to right; No. 3 (O&K 7459/1921) and Da 7 (Henschel 18449/1921) posing together on Hedehusgaard station. Celebrating the loco's 100th birthdays in lovely sunshine.

After a long day of service the two locos have returned to the loco shed and service area, to be cleaned and readied for the next day's service.

Unfortunately all the sunshine and happy everyday life dissappeared when I managed to catch a bad stomach infection. For a full 3 weeks I was completely and utter out of service. Fortunately I enjoyed the luxury of a loving family and the benefit of living in a society providing free medical treatment and salary during sick leave. With both strength and weight loss it took some weeks to regain my usual stamina levels - but then I'm not 51 anymore! 
My very first tufts of rough green grass from unwound sisal rope. I'll keep on experimenting to make it look better. If nothing else it's really cheap.

With other matters having priority of attention, only minor progress can be reported on the loading ramp. My experiments with white glue and sisal rope have also continued. This week, though, I lifted module 1 from it's usual position on top of the book shelves and placed it on a pair of trestles to facilitate painting of the rails on the side facing away from the front of the layout. I'm almost done with the first layer of paint and will continue with spot painting and a wash with diluted oil paints before the module returns to it's usual position. Hope to return with news a bit more exiting during the coming months.