Sunday 6 July 2014

Narrow Gauge Progress at NLB (1/35)

Some time ago I mentioned that a ‘companion’ to my Nystrup Gravel is slowly being built in another part of Denmark. Although this narrow gauge industrial railway is in 1:32 scale (as it has to match the owners’ Gauge 1-layout called 'New Langeland's Railway' - Ny Langelandsbanen in Danish) I consider it very much a ‘partner’ for my own 1:35 railway as they share both gauge and theme. Recently there has been much progress on the layout. Not least around the narrow gauge line. My friend and his wife has done a lot of track laying and landscaping. While there is still some work left before the line is finished (will it ever be?), I thought I would share a few images with you. Notice that there is still being worked on the layout.
An overview of the narrow gauge terminus at 'Broløkke Halt'. From the woods around Broløkke firewood is assembled and stored to be transported to the standard gauge railway loco depot by narrow gauge railway. The difference in gauge is striking. Photo: Arne Nielsen.
The railway's single loco pulling a newly constructed tank wagon and two flats for firewood. The Henschel DG 26 is the ASOA-model in 1:32. The model has recently been re-released by ASOA with a new chassis from sb-modellbau. The standard gauge halt with its characteristic reinforced concrete building can be seen in the distance. The building is carefully scratchbuilt from a prototype on the Danish railway 'Langelandsbanen'. See photos from the real Broløkke Halt here. Photo: Arne Nielsen.


An innovative scenic break: A wood lined avenue separates the Broløkke area from the main station on the layout: Arnborg. Photo: Arne Nielsen.

The Henschel approaching the ungated crossing. Low speed and much vigilance from the loco driver are necessary when crossing the road. Photo: Arne Nielsen.
With the progress on the owners' home layout I wonder if they will have time left for work on their narrow gauge modules? Their modules can be attached to mine and share my fiddle yard as one end of our common line. We hope to make contact with a standard gauge module in the other end of the line. We are not co-running our modules often, but will be running trains of skips together at the next Gauge 1 exhibition in November.

Gauge 1 exhibition 2012: Almost 7 metres of industrial narrow gauge railway. Closest my fiddle yard (still very exposed and unpainted), next my three modules and in the distance the three modules supplied by my friend. I hope we can present a little more coherent look in November. At least I promise to paint the fiddle yard!

No comments:

Post a Comment