Loco no 11

Loco no 11

Sunday, 22 June 2014

Progress on Ancient Motor Locomotive

Work on Nystrup Gravel's first locomotive continues. Last post on the building can be found here. With the main dimensions established (through a combination of measurements taken from the preserved upper body, dimensions scaled from photographs and 'modeller's license') I began to cut plasticard for the 1:35 scale version.

Top and bottom in the upper body of the loco have been cut. Drawings and photos hang on the magnetic strip over the work area. I haven't made a 'proper' scale drawing, but rely on several sketches and my measurements from the full scale upper body. The BullAnt poses on the small box with further parts for the loco. 
Having made a start on the model I was pleasantly surprised when I received an e-mail filled with copies of manufacturer's drawings from the local historical archive in Frederikshavn. Not all relevant for the type of Frederikshavn-loco I'm building - the 'Alpha' E 10 - but very interesting and helping to clarify what certain gadgets on the loco do. The drawings made it clear to me, that particularly the interior on my model had to be redesigned. Fortunately the e-mail arrived before I had the chance to glue anything together. Now the model will feature a more or less full interior.

Front view of a 10 hp. Frederikshavn loco of the E 10 type. The loco is probably photographed in the factory yard immediately before delivery. The box held to the loco body by the two metal straps (one strangely out of level) is for oil, while the funnel above is for water for the cooling system. Notice how the funnel has a cut out that fits a bucket. It is probably the only concession to user-friendliness on the loco. A loco with no suspension, a cab filled with a huge one cylinder engine and a two stage open gearbox, nowhere to sit and tiny port holes for windows surely wouldn't please a health and safety inspector today! Photo: Image B 60650 from the local historical archive in Frederikshavn.
One of the first things I consider when building a locomotive model is how to fit the chassis. I have yet to take the plunge and construct a chassis from scratch, so any loco building at my workbench involves a chassis with motor and drive line built by someone else. That leaves me the task of either ordering a chassis that fits my model or making my model fit the chassis. Usually, however, I do a bit of both, as I try to select a chassis that I know will be able to fit the model I'm about to build within certain tolerances. Once the chassis arrives the initial fitting of the partly built model or placing on a scale drawing will show if I have to adjust my plans and the amount of detail I can show in a certain area.

BullAnt fitted to the first basic shapes that will eventually become the loco's frame. Parts for both frame and body are being worked on. 
With the newly gained knowledge of the loco's interior I have set out to hide the parts of the BullAnt that protrudes into the cab area. I will not make a fully detailed interior, just enough to give a busy impression when looking through the left door, half of which I will leave open. There is no need to model things that can't be seen on the finished model.

With the new knowledge from the drawings I had to reduce the asymmetrical position of the wheels under loco slightly. I simply added 6 mm. to the length at the front end. I also fitted a cardboard mock up to test height and clearance for the interior. The driver will have to be reduced in height to fit the cab. I'll probably chop off his feet as they can't be seen through the open half door.

No comments:

Post a Comment