Friday, 28 August 2026

Protective Box For Skips

While I was modelling Nystrup Gravel in 1:35 scale I faced the challenge of how to store my models safely and protected from the usual mishaps during storage and transport. In more traditional modelling scales (e.g. 1/87) most models comes in neat boxes that protect them and some boxes even doubles as fancy display cases. I have yet to buy a 1/19 ready to run-model in a box, so I need to find a way to store and transport my more or less home built models. 

Skips stored safely in a padded box.

Having been very satisfied with the wooden boxes I used in 1/35 scale I proceeded the same way with boxing my 1/19 scale models. Finding wooden boxes large enough isn't easy, though. But after a some searching, I found two nice boxes that should be able to protect a few of my models sufficiently. I bought them on a flea market from a guy that make the boxes himself.

Two wooden boxes ready to be fitted out as storage boxes for some of my 1/19 scale models. The front box measures 26,5 cm in length, 13 cm in width and 8 cm in height. The box in the background measures 23,5x13x11.

I may have shopped just a little too much foam for lining the boxes!

As I began planning what models to house in the boxes, I found that I had run out of soft foam. Specialised shops only sold either small amounts online or very large industrial quantities. I found the cheapest option was to visit a local home furnishing retailer and buy a foam mattress 80 cm x 200 x 3 for less than 25 €. That the amount of foam will last me a long time is an understatement!

I decided to make the long box (measuring 26,5 cm x 13 x 8) a home for 3 Hudson skips. With materials acquired I could begin to outfit the box for the skips. A very easy task only involving some very basic measuring, cutting and glueing of foamboard and soft foam. The process is shown in pictures below.

Strips of 18 mm wide foamboard of 5 mm thickness was cut and glued into the bottom of the box. The strips hold the skips in place and avoids them sliding in the box. Strips of foam 1 and 2 cm thick are PVA-glued to cushion and stop the skips rolling back and forth in the box.

A skip placed illustrative on its place in the box. 'No foam needed between the skips?' No, because when the last element is added the skips will be held securely by closing the lid.

A strip of foam 1 cm thick is glued in the lid. When the box is closed, the strip holds the skips in tension and put an effective stop to the moving in any direction inside the box. 

The next box is planned to contain the Lister RT and its battery charging equipment. And then the hunt for more nice wooden boxes is on again. I have more locomotives and rolling stock that needs safe storage and transport boxes. There is plenty of foam mattress left - 197 cm and some scraps.

I'm also considering a tube that can carry some Peco SM32 track panels. Combined with 3 skips and a Lister I could have a 'travelling kit' of a small railway to bring to the cottage or a location for some fun photography sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment