Friday 30 October 2020

Lucky Me!

Sometimes you're just lucky. I had one of those days last weekend. Getting my hands on an classic Danish model railway book. My luck didn't stop there. As I opened the book I noticed an image of a narrow gauge industrial steam loco glued into the book with two strips of christmas stamps.

'Model railways as a hobby' is the title of the book. It was first published in 1971 and I remember reading it at the library as a boy. It was probably the first book I read about scratch building and it didn't take long before I began cutting card board for my own model building. The rest is history, as they say. 

"From me to you" in hand writing and the Danish national christmas stamp from 1975 used to fix the photograph to the book's half title.

The image shows a somewhat dismantled and negleted Orenstein & Koppel 4-wheeled steam loco of a 20-30 hp type. Probably built 1910-25. There are no sidetanks which is unusual for O&K-locos of this model. A lady is waving to the photographer from the cab. Perhaps a Sunday trip turned loco spotting? She is dressed in a style that could be the 1930's-1940's, but probably the style could pass in the early 1950's as well. While the book is Danish, there are no features in the image proving the loco to be a Danish one, although it may very well be so.

"Hi, darling! I'm a loco driver now."

I will pass the image on in my network, and hopefully some expert will be able to help identify the locomotive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment