Saturday, 7 March 2020

Ferguson for Nystrup Farmer

Recently I have been working on my diecast model of a Ferguson TE-20 from Schuco. I aquired the model in october 2018 and examined the model in this blog post.
With open bonnet this is how the Ferguson looked when just arrived.

The finished Ferguson photographed on the road plank in my garden.

However much I like the Ferguson tractor my model couldn't stay shiny and factory fresh. Most Fergusons came to Denmark in used condition. While they were of course given a thorough cleaning and mechanical check up before sale and taken care of by their new owners, they were work horses. I wanted my model to look like a well used Ferguson.
The first layers of paint have been applied. The tractor has been readied for a full coverage of matt varnish with a tiny amount of sand colour added for at dusty look. Areas not destined to be matt or dusty are covered with masking tape or glue paste.

I began the proces with minor painting of details and all the linkages' black pins were covered with grey. The exhaust pipe was given a mixing of different dark brown and rust colours. Details like spark plugs and petrol filter were given contrasting colours having consulted several colour images onine. I added green putty to represent dried mud on the tractor's lower parts and wheels. I worked the putty with an old stiff brush while drying to add texture. The puttied areas and surroundings were covered with light earth colours throug the air brush. I also air brushed a thin layer of dark grey on the engine block and radiator. The license plate is a piece of plasticcard fitted with a decal from Skilteskoven.
Weathering progressing. The challenging task of weathering the wheels has begun and the first stages done.

Switching from acrylics to oil paints I gave all areas around linkage points and bushings a thinned lick of black. With the same thinned black oil paint I gave engine, radiator, petrol tank and areas around the bolts on the wheels a wash to bring out the detail and to illustrate oily dirt. I finished this phase off with an air brushed layer of matt acrylic varnish with a tiny drop of light sand added.

With the varnish dried I started adding some small scratches around the tractor. I consulted prototype pictures to see where they usually occured. I kept the scratches to a minimum as I'm modelling a tractor in the early to mid fifties and not a 1980's wreck. I also added petrol spillings on the tank under the bonnet. With those minor tasks done I started weathering the tires. A do or die task on most tractors, where the large tires are very noticeable. I used a thin mix of water and acrylic paint to add the dust between the tire treads. When dry the paint was scratched with a steel wire brush. I rubbed ground up pastel chalk on top and sides of tires and finished off with a covering of matt varnish. I then sanded off any paint on top of the tires treads to expose the original rubber. With a burnishing with graphite powder on seat and foot rests and some gloss varnish on freshly oiled spots, the model is now ready to serve a farmer on the outskirts of Nystrup.
Front view showing the familiar profile of a TE-20 Ferguson.

The Ferguson wasn't a large tractor.

1 comment: