Friday 18 February 2022

Finished Group of Photographers

My ambition of creating a small group of railway enthusiasts with cameras in 1/19 scale was accomplished when I placed the enthusiast dressed in a dark grey suit next to his mate (in more colourful clothing).

As a skip train is slowly pulled away from the sorting facility two visiting enthusiast try to capture the locomotive in the opposite end of the train.

How I prepared the well dressed enthusiast with box camera for painting was desribed in the previous post. When the primer was dry, it was a simple matter of painting the two part suit dark grey and apply a darkened base colour in the deepest folds of the suit. The shirt was painted white and the narrow tie picked out in black. Then the skin areas were painted and when dry given a wash of oil paint. Hair and the small moustache was picked out in medium grey. With hat painted dark brown and the shoes gloss black the enthusiast could take his place next to his mate. I added no weathering to the figure. I usually do that to figures of workers doing hard manual work. I imagine that two enthusiasts having arrived in a large Citroen Traction Avant all the way from Copenhagen would avoid puddles and leaning against oily equipment and generally be observant not to get their garments soiled.

I usually leave a finished figure (well, any model actually) to rest a few days before I accept it as finished. It allows the paints to fully harden and it gives me the chance to seek out small faults to be corrected.

As mentioned the enthusiast in suit is the Modelu figure 1607 'Photographer with Box Brownie'. Apart from some slight transport damage I only had to work on the line between trousers and shoes. Some work with files and sanding stick produced a clearer line between them. I don't know why this point is a weak spot on all the Modelu 3D-printed figures I have seen. No matter what the figure has a great pose and I'm glad Modelu has been providing a steady stream of nice figures for 16 mm scale during the last few years.

With no advanced optics or shutter speed settings in the simple box vamera, the driver of Nystrup Gravel locomotive no 3 is slowly rolling past the guest from Copenhagen to help produce the best possible image.

"Just one more picture" says the enthusiast before he reaches for his small notebook in the pocket to note date, motif and location. "I like to keep notes of exactly what I photograph, where and when" he casually shouts to the loco driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment