Sunday 9 September 2012

Bankes Bakelit's Ford V3000 (1/35)

Last time I wrote about the Ford lorry I had completed the construction. After a layer of primer I painted rear fenders, wheels and cab with Humbrol 14 gloss 'French Blue' and the floor of the load area Model Air 'Khaki Brown'. I airbrushed the sides of the cargo bay red with Vallejo 31. Floor and inner sides of the cargo bay were weathered and sealed with matt varnish. The chassis was weathered with oil paint and pastel chalk and also sealed with matt varnish. The tires where painted with Vallejo 168 'Black Grey'.

After some careful masking cab and the upper half of the doors where air brushed red. I found it a difficult, but funny, task. Unfortunately it didn't stay that way! My paint job ended in almost utter disaster as the paint crept under or through the masking tape. I managed to clean up most of the mess, but I still have that 'perfect lorry paint job' waiting for me somewhere in the future.

Lettering came from 'Skilteskoven' - my usual supplier of costum made decals. The little one-man business in Odense is celebrating it's 10th aniversery this year (and of course the owner has a 'real' job - you cannot live from making decals and signs for railway modellers in Denmark). On the cab doors the black lettering is placed on top of an orange rectangle cut from some left over decals from an old helicopter kit (remember: never throw anything away!). The license plates are from 'Skilteskoven' as well. Decal application was plain sailing. Decals from 'Skilteskoven' are nicely printed on thin decal film that responds well to my favorite decal solutions from Mr. Hobby.


Transporting barrels full of phenol for Bankes Bakelit. The Ford V3000 lorry is here seen crossing the viaduct taking the road to Ubehage over the 600 mm. gravel line.

A well kept Ford lorry from one of Nystrup Gravel's neighbours, Bankes Bakelit. It is easy to see that the drivers are concentrating their maintenance on cab and front, leaving the wooden load area much more to natural weathering.
The lorry is loaded with some very worn looking 200 l. barrels with chemicals for the production of bakelite. I lost the box years ago, but I think the barrels are from Tamiya.

How a break could have looked like in 1951 for the driver of one of the lorrys from Bankes Bakelit.
Despite the below average paint job I'm quite fond of my lorry. Now the company 'Bankes Bakelit' has been given a modelling tribute. Perhaps I can even create part of the factory complex as a background building on a future module?

Earlier posts on my Ford can be found on:

Another Ford lorry, here in the markings af the German Red Cross. A great model that would not look out of place in my collection wearing a more colourful livery and markings.
See more http://panzerserra.blogspot.dk/2012/09/ford-1941-panel-van-part-05-and-final.html




1 comment: