Thursday, 13 August 2026

'Planet' Motorised Skip

Vacation. The time where one can relax and enjoy a hobby. I have begun to prepare for assembly and detailing the Loco Remote F. C. Hibberd & Co Ltd 'Planet' 6 hp self-propelled skip. A 3D printed kit that was marketed for a limited time frame in 2023-2024 and that I was instantly tempted by. A small, simple vehicle that would be very much at home on Nystrup Gravel's railway. 

A view of the main parts for the 'Planet' self-propelled skip. New table cloth in the cottage means a shift from the chequered cloth.

As readers that have followed the blog for a long time may remember I bought a 'Planet' in Feburary 2024 and examined it briefly. Since then it has been in storage. Now it's out of the cupboard and the first stage in its construction has begun. 

As I found out during my first look at the parts, some of the printing is a little coarse with the layers of the printing clearly visible. That is one of the things I will have to attend to during the build process. As usual I will also add and replace detail on the kit. 

A side frame part directly from the box. Lots of 'striping' from the printing process and springs in a condition I have to replace.

Some work done on one part with an original for comparison.

While sanding some of the main parts like side frames I have been making a list of what I plan to add or replace on the kit. As usual the list, I may be shorten or lengthen it depending on my mood as the build progresses. So far the list looks like this:

  • Sanding away the worst traces from the printing process
  • Replacing bolt heads
  • Adding metal springs for the axle boxes
  • Rebuilding floor under the skip body
  • Rebuilding and detailing the driver's position
  • New buffers
  • Detailing skip body
  • Modifying driver figure.

Not too different from what I usually do to my models. I hope to build the 'Planet' next to my Baguley-Drewry that should be in a an almost finished condition by Christmas. 

Test assembly with wheel sets inserted in axle boxes.

Holds together quite well withou glue!

There is a lot more sanding to do before parts will be glued together, and I have some reservations with Loco Remote's assembly sequence and will probably differ a bit along the way. 

2 comments:

  1. Is it like this https://youtu.be/WBJmQRVBx4s?si=feQYxS1AT425RTkW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Rod, but a newer and more refined model with an actual prototype. Really simple and it's obvious that 3D printing has taken leaps forward since this model was printed. Lots of good modelling fun, though!

    ReplyDelete