Wednesday 12 July 2017

Ruston & Bucyrus Excavator (1/35)

In my last blog update in June I showed some new photos of Nystrup Gravel's large Menck excavator. Nystrup Gravel's first excavator (as far as I know) was the Ruston & Bucyrus delivered in 1938. Here are a few images of the machine in one of the gravel company's pits west of Nystrup.
The excavator driver obviously had a hard bicycle ride to the gravel pit. Here he is taking a break before beginning the day's work.

A side view of the Ruston & Bucyrus RB-17.

The R&B excavator is a 1:35 resin kit from Accurate Armour and a brilliant kit. I highly recommend it. Even if the kit is large and looks complicated you don't have to be an expert to put it together and produce an excellent result. I built my excavator in 2003 and made minor changes to the kit parts, primarily to show off some of the detailed interior.
A rear view during construction. I cut out the right rear door to show off the engine and radiator.

The interior during painting. I still haven't fitted wire to the drums.

The finished excavator on a heavy load trailer.


As usual the tracked tractor 'Stalin' was standing in the pit waiting for its next task. The tractor originally belonged to a Soviet Army artillery unit, was captured by the German forces in 1941, brought to Denmark and bought by Nystrup Gravel after the war.
Lovely weather and a robust piece of equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment