Loco no 11

Loco no 11

Wednesday, 8 July 2015

Finished Ford Double Cab Lorry

After much trouble and frustration I have finally finished the Ford double cab lorry I started building back in February. It has been a tough nut to crack as particularly the figures and cab have supplied challenges on an almost daily basis. Most troubles caused by myself by not planning and dry fitting parts enough and some by the quality of upper and lower resin cab castings. The cab parts didn't fit well together causing a lot of sanding and getting the three figures to fit in the cab wasn't exactly easy. After several efforts I decided to have only two figures in the cab, leaving the driver figure out.
The finished double cab lorry at the Nystrup Gravel loco shed with a load of brown coal. Summer 1946.


The lorry is a combination of a converted chassis from the ICM-kit of a Ford T917G and a resin cab made in Brazil. See the lorry at an earlier state here.

Haulage contractor Hansen's double cab lorry was a former German army lorry, possibly commandeered from civilian use in Norway and brought to Denmark during the German occupation. After being taken over by Hansen in May 1945 the lorry received a coat of green paint, new head lights and license plates. Due to its large cab the lorry could carry a good work force; very convenient as any bulk load had to be shovelled off the cargo bed.
Freshly painted in Vallejo Air 71.134 Imperial Japanese Army Green the Ford lorry is awaiting decals.
After priming I painted the lorry green (Hansen's company colour - although he never hit the same hue or bothered with a standard paint scheme), fitted decals from Skilteskoven and gave the model a covering layer of satin varnish.
Decals fitted on front doors. Windows still without glass and cab interior only test fitted. A steering wheel is still missing. In the cargo bed one can faintly see the heightened insert made from foam board to carry the load of brown coal.
Clear plastic card pieces made to fit the cab windows. All specially made to a particular window and consequently clearly marked out and taped in place on a piece of A4.
The heightened foam board insert in the load bed received a load of coal that was painted in different brown colours to represent raw brown coal. Two wicker baskets from Paulo were 'dug into' the load.

Coal and wicker baskets added, glass in the cab windows and weathering begun. The lorry is almost finished - and my work table is beginning to look fairly cluttered.
Weathering was done with both oil and acrylic paint and a little coloured chalk powder. I kept the weathering light and only the upper panels of the cargo bed received a serious dose of weathering.
Moving into position to unload the coal at the railway's coaling site next to the water tank.

2 comments:

  1. Nice truck, Claus ....beautiful girl with "civil" clothes!! Congrats !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice words, Marcos.I'm currently planning a military model - the C15TA from IBG Models. I'll be building it as a Danish army vehicle. Other projects to finish first, though.

    Hope all is well in Brazil

    ReplyDelete