Monday 4 November 2013

Boxing Two Models (1/35)

Building models from scratch or kits is an exiting way of getting unique models. But it also gives me the challenge of how to preserve them from dust, excessive sun light or the accidental fall to the floor. I have earlier shown how I use some small boxes to store models. Recently I took a larger wooden box in use for two locos and thought I'd better share a few snapshots with you. My loco 3 (the Sala) and 6 (the Jung) now share a wooden box lined with tailor made foam insert to protect them during transport and storage. 
Working with foam to obtain a firm fit around the model.
Both models fitted in their foam beds. The foam bits glued to the box lid (left) applies pressure to the models when the lid is closed,  keeping them firmly in place. The loose foam bit (top) keeps the Sala driver from travelling freely around inside the box.
Box contents clearly marked with numbers in the font 'German Typewriter'. When you have to hand paint, there is no reason to pick a font that isn't compatible with the era of Nystrup Gravel.
Storing models in foam lined boxes is a mixed blessing if I am to believe several online articles. The foam can deteriorate and loose its tension, thereby reducing the protection it provides. That is one thing, but some foam types can actually degrade in a way that makes them stick to a model and even damage paint as a result of chemical reactions. I don't want that to happen, and although my foam lined boxes are still quite new, I check my boxes once a year to make sure everything is still well.

Those modellers modelling in more usual railway modelling scales have products available to them for storing their models. Some are generic and will fit serveral types of models, some are even made for specific models.

No comments:

Post a Comment