Back in 2005 I built a Chevrolet lorry from the classic Tamiya ‘Long Range Desert Patrol’-kit. I added a cab from an Italeri GMC 'hard cab' and rear fenders from an Italeri Opel Blitz. I scratch built the cargo area from plastic card and some left over etched parts. I got it primed and painted in the basic colours, but never managed to finish it. The vinyl tires are a weak point in many kits and this model is no exeption. The rear wheel tires were already beginning to fall apart in 2005. This winter I finally had decals made for the lorry and bought replacement resin tires from Armo in
|2005: Lorry kit bash finished.|
|Lorry as originally painted and assembled. Notice the split rear tyre.|
After a much needed dust off, I removed the old wheels and axles from the model. New fixings for the front wheels had to be made as I damaged the old ones beyond repair. I found that parts of the frames had to be repainted as well. I did that while the paint on the tires dried.
|The Plus Models cement mixer is in resin with photo etched detail parts.|
Next is weathering of tires and wheel wells, fitting of decals and small details.