Sunday 13 May 2012

Chevrolet lorry (1/35)

Back in 2005 I built a Chevrolet lorry from the classic Tamiya ‘Long Range Desert Patrol’-kit. I added a cab from an Italeri GMC 'hard cab' and rear fenders from an Italeri Opel Blitz. I scratch built the cargo area from plastic card and some left over etched parts. I got it primed and painted in the basic colours, but never managed to finish it. The vinyl tires are a weak point in many kits and this model is no exeption. The rear wheel tires were already beginning to fall apart in 2005. This winter I finally had decals made for the lorry and bought replacement resin tires from Armo in Poland.

2005: Lorry kit bash finished.

Lorry as originally painted and assembled. Notice the split rear tyre.
After a much needed dust off, I removed the old wheels and axles from the model. New fixings for the front wheels had to be made as I damaged the old ones beyond repair. I found that parts of the frames had to be repainted as well. I did that while the paint on the tires dried.

The Plus Models cement mixer is in resin with photo etched detail parts.
The lorry will be fitted with a few gas bottles and a cement mixer. The gas bottles are from Danish manufacturer Epokemodeller. They produce a lot of useful accessories in 1:32 that can be used in my scale as well. The cement mixer is from Plus Models.

Next is weathering of tires and wheel wells, fitting of decals and small details.

No comments:

Post a Comment